Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Nail Polish Mixology

I am a huge fan of mixing my makeup.  Blending eyeshadows, nuding out every colour lipstick that I own, and layering mascaras to get my perfect lashes....well more recently I have moved into the nail polish realm, and  I tell you there is no turning back.  After proving to be an extremely difficult find in pre-made form, my most recent mix is a gorgeous light grey colour, similar to the eyeshadow likes of MAC's Copperplate.


Now since I could not be bothered to worry about bottling up a batch or making enough for more than I need at the time, I do have to make a new "batch" every time.  Basically I take some form of plastic or non absorbent material, plastic wrap or disposable shot glasses work really well, and start by pouring out a few drops of the lightest colour in my mix (in this case, white).  Then I take the brush from the darker colour (always do this, it will rarely affect the colour of the darker polish, but always will for the lighter polish)  and mix in whatever comes out on the brush in with the lighter colour (in this case, black).  I also like to add a drop of top coat or nail hardener to elongate the lasting power. mixa mixa and you have your new polish! this works great with colour, as well as adding subtle glitter to existing flat polishes.


These are the polishes I used to achieve this look, from left to right; Borghese Bianco White Tip(6 drops), Mac Nocturnelle (1 drop), Sally Hansen Mega Tuff (1 drop), Sally Girl Silver Glitter on ring fingers (as top coat)

Have you ever experimented with mixing nail polishes? What are your favourite colours to mix?

3 comments:

  1. I never really have mixed polishes, but you have totally inspired me to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! I love the end result. P.s. I can't believe it, but I JUST found your blog. I have been a fan of your videos. so I'm so glad to see that you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats awesome!! I am going to go through all my polishes now :) I love that black mac one :)

    ReplyDelete